Sunday, February 15, 2009

YEAH AMC THEATERS !!!!!!

I stated in eariler post how years ago I was very ignorant and new 2exactly what Autism was. Back when my ignorance was bliss, I made numerous attempts at movie dates. Movie dates that included me & Malik, along with different girlfriends and their kids also with my family members and their children. I would oftentimes have 2leave the movie theater because Malik would not sit through the movie. At first he would just scream 2the top of his lungs, then when we would try again he would get up and run up & down the aisle fascinated with the floor lighting. I couldn't figure it out, why was he acting like that? "its just a movie, for Godness sake." I never mentioned it 2any of his doctors, I dont know why, I just never did.
Autism is often confusing. No 2kids are the same. Children with Autism look at things very differently than kids who do not have Austim. Things I would think Malik would find difficult like learning his way around a computer or even being interested in a computer he did with ease. Other things like playing with toys appropriately proved 2be very difficult. He was fixated on spinning all toys and objects in a circular motion.
After a few years passed & Malik had been doing so well developing. School was going good, he was making progress in all his therapies, his doctor visits were up to par and everything was great so, when Malik showed an interest in Spiderman by watching the coming attractions on TV, I decided 2try again & take him 2the movies. Truth be told, I threw the earlier experiences out of my mind and attributed the behavior 2him being 2young.
Again, I took Malik 2the movies I couldn't believe how he acted. He kept getting up out of the seat and sitting back down, and because of the surround sound he kept looking around the theater and ducking each time a special effect came through the speakers, then he put his hands over his ears. After that gesture I knew it was time to go.
Of course , since then I've become more educated about Autism, I now know his sensors were being overloaded. Still that didn't stop me from feeling like the worst parent 4forcing Malik on many occassions 2try and sit there and watch a movie.
I reminised about my own childhood, some of my fondest memories were in the movies. I along with my cousins loved 2go to the loews theatre on 145th st and 7th ave in NYC 2catch the Sunday Matinee which often featured Pam Grier. I thought how unfortunate Malik would never have a chance 2experience that.
Well that was b4 reading this Sunday's AJC. I ran across a article in the Sunday Living section about a theater having certain days that cater 2sensory-friendly showings. I encourage you all if you frequent the movies please patronize AMC theaters, they are the ones who are sponsoring sensory friendly showings.
On different occassions they will feature screenings that will have lights turned up, and the sound turned down. They are also doing away with the coming attractions and many ads the theaters now show.
The next showing that is sensory-friendly is scheduled for March 14th @10 a.m. the showing will be at Phipps Plaza, Discover Mills 18, and Southlake 24. This is a big step 4families living with Autism, It is Wonderful ! I believe AMC Theaters should be commended 4this bold gesture and allowing Malik the opportunity 2have his own childhood movie memories !
AMC, thanks 4being understanding and sensitive 2children with Autism.
YEAH AMC THEATERS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment