Friday, February 13, 2009

Another Doctor Visit

Today, Malik was out of school and we had another dr visit @ his regular physician. Well, the visit was routine so he could get clearance 4his dental sedation on Feb, 22nd, 2009. When I made the appointment 4 Maliks dental visit the office manager informed me of how long its been since Malik has been 2the dentist. I disputed her records because I no I keep all Malik appointments. Then it dawned on me. How could I 4get about our big scare last year.
Tuesday April 14th, 2008 was like any other Tuesday morning. I dropped Malik off at school went back home watched tv and this particular morning I felt like making breakfast so I made an omelet w/hashbrowns and coffee,while I enjoyed TV when I got a call from Maliks teacher who seemed 2be out of breath and nervous. She was telling me 2stay calm but, she needed 2no if Malik has ever had seizures be4. I said, Seizures, no! then I began 2question her, I asked why was she out of breath ? I wanted 2no what was wrong ? and where was Malik ? and what was wrong, I asked again for her 2 tell me what is wrong? ...what !!!!
She told me Malik just had a seizure in gym class. Needless 2say I couldnt comprehend I wasn't understanding a seizure he had never ever had a seizure before, again I screamed and wanted 2no why was this happening 2us again and what was I doing wrong ? I remembered thinking how I didnt want Malik on medication 4the rest of his life 2control seziures!
That early morning call from Ms McFadden started a whole new quest of finding out what was wrong and what was making Malik have seizures. I called his physicain she told me 2take Malik 2Childrens Hospital they ran tests. Nothing, then they referred us 2get a EEG and a brain scan Nothing, then we were referred 2a cartiologist. Nothing, now in between all these appointments and visits and test Malik is still seizing. At times 2 or 3 x's a day and I am freaking out. I went back 2his primary care I told her very forcefully "look we r running all these test and doing all this waiting and still havent found out what is going on with him someone has 2tell me something because he is still falling out and seizing. I had also noticed Malik was limping and bending over when he walked like a ole man, which I also express 2 her. I told her thats not how a young person walks and that it wasn't normal. She told me that was normal 4kids with Autism 2walk like that.
Now, I am not saying anything negative about Dr's but, I wish they would listen more 2parents. When I as a parent express something 2 u as a physician... LISTEN ! I no u have degrees and r highly educated but, I too, have a degree. It's in MOTHERHOOD from one of the top schools in the country, The School of Hardknocks, Trial & Error!!!! and I graduated top in my class ! When this first started 2 happen 2us I called Dr Brian Delaney! (he's been voted one of the top doctors in NYC) he also happens 2be like a dad 2my husband Shawn & me. He said make sure the doctors draw blood. Which I think is pretty logical and I told Malik's primary just that. She said 2me well blood test are not going 2show why he's having seizures. Well guess what, I bet she drew blood after all those appt's and test came back normal and I bascially demanded he get blood drawn ! finally blood was drawn and immediately they referred me to a endocronologist. Malik's vitamin D and potassium levels were basically depleted this was causing him 2 spasm/seize. He was diagnosed with Hypoparathyroidism!... I thought finally a answer a conculsion ! Although, Malik has 2take Oscal indefinitely. I remain hopeful that our next doctor visit 2the endocrinologist on Feb. 26th, 2009 will allow Malik 2live a Oscal free life!

1 comment:

  1. Cassandra,
    Your problem with the doctor not listening to you is not new. Unfortunatelly it happens too often. Even Oprah had trouble getting her doctor to listen to her. She went to three different doctors before one listened to her and they found out it was her thyroid.
    Hang in there, you know what you're doing!

    Much luv,
    grandma and mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete