Wednesday, March 11, 2009

WORDS CAN BE HURTFUL

Back in the day b4 all the information about Autism was known, b4 all the studies, the walks, the fundraising, the celebrities and the public becoming more aware and sensitive 2the disorder things were really tough!
No one understood or knew how 2deal w/the disorder. So, taking Malik out n public was a challenge. Each time he was out I found myself compelled 2explain 2the many people who looked at him in disgust why he acted that way. During these times I felt as if I was a failure and (I'm ashamed 2admit it now) embarrassed!
I found it easier just 2leave him at home. This way I wouldn't have 2deal with the stares and eye rolling I received in numerous stores. I often caught shoppers especially women shaking their heads, and agreeing w/each other how " they would not let their child act that way."
These hurtful remarks often lead me 2leave many stores in a tearful rage! .....Crying because of course I was hurt & feeling sorry 4myself, angry for 4not saying anything 2these people, and most angriest w/myself 4allowing these ignorant people who had no clue about me or my son 2get nside my head!
Over the years part of Malik's cirriculum has been 2go on several Community Based Outtings (CBO) in school. So, now when he goes 2stores he is more behaved and he participates n the whole shopping experience.
The incident, that was the inspiration 4this post didnot involve Malik but, it did involve kids who r just like my son so it could have just as easily been Malik"s class.
I was in a mini strip mall in Conyers, at a jewelry store getting my favorite necklace fixed. I was informed by the gentleman behind the counter I had 2wait 1/2 hr 4my necklace. Which was not a problem. I commenced 2take out my cell and talk 2my best friend Dawn from AZ. I was standing n front of the window when a Dekalb County School bus pulled up. I didnt pay the bus 2much attention until the kids got off the bus. I noticed they were all special need students. I immediately paid attention. They were having one of their CBO's, upon gettin off the school bus some of them waved and smiled. I returned the gesture when I heard the gentleman behind the counter say 2the other gentleman jokingly"hey, there's your bus coming to pick you up." instanly all the bad memories of the various women popped n my mind and I became angry! I turned and looked at the gentleman who made the comment 2show him my distain 4his remark I shook my head!
A few minutes passed and the gentleman called 2me and let me no my necklace was ready. I ended my phone call and after my transaction was complete. I calmly told the gentleman although, he was not speaking 2me I found his comment to be offensive and having a child with special needs is not a laughing matter! he proceeded 2try and explain himself by 1st himin-and-hawin about how this-and-that , then he blurted out I'M SORRY that was inappropriate and i apologize!
I politely took my necklace, & walked out of the store.
Funny thing on the way 2my car..... gone were the feelings of embarrassment and failure !!!!!
I felt relieved, happy, and powerful! I will not allow anyone to ever again get nside my head and dictate how I feel about my son's disability!

1 comment:

  1. God works on us in his time, not ours. Sometimes we have to go through stuff to get to the place God wants us.

    luv yu much,
    grandmother $ mother-in-law

    ReplyDelete