Sunday, March 1, 2009

Much more than Autism

I've never been a person who likes labels. I'm always uncomfortable when people introduce themselves as a label. For instance "hi, I'm Cassandra, I'm a mother" ooookkkkk does that mean I'm nothing else? lately, I've noticed many mothers introduce their children as being Autistic. I'm always puzzled by this because when there is a label put on the child they begin 2believe thats all thats expected of them. 2be Autistic and nothing else!
Malik is so much more 2me. He was 1st&foremost a child of love! he followed with being a beautiful baby boy, he then went on 2become a smart, well mannered, bookreading, basketball&playstation playing, Mcdonald frenchfry eating, nascar watching curious young man!
He can't be sumed up n only those descriptions above, Malik continues 2change. He learns and does more each &everyday ! it's really amazing 2me. I feel it would be a disservice 2him if I only described him as being Autistic. Its just a condition! it does not define him !
After Malik had been at Birch 4 about a year I remember one morning after drop off spending more time than usual n his class. I was surprised at all the things he was doing n school. I'll admit, Malik has always been a spoiled child! and, when he was diagnosed I never thought he would be able 2function so called "normally" but, after seeing him at Birch, I thought 2myself I had unconsciously put restrictions on him because of his disability. I expected nothing from him and that's exactly what I got. Needless 2say when I saw him feeding himself, and putting toys back in their place, sitting still at storytime and participating with the story along with the other kids I knew Malik could flourish just like any other kid.
Fast forward some years and at 14, Malik is still spoiled ! he gets away with more than most kids but, my thinking is not restricted by his disabiltiy anymore I expect so much more from him and he knows it. If I tell him 2do something he knows I expect it 2be done. Like most things changing ur thinking process takes time but, it can be done. So, please challenge urself & ur children 2the fullest of their potential u'll be surprised and learn like I have ur kids r so much more. They r ur pride &joy, ur sons/daughters so much more than the label of Autism!

2 comments:

  1. That's right, real role models, real men. I'm so proud of them. This is beautiful.

    much love,
    grandmother & mother-in-law

    ReplyDelete
  2. When ever I tell anyone about Malik, I never say, "He's autistc". I like to say he has autism because it does not have him and it's not who he is.
    He's Malik Moore, son, grandson, cousin, nephew, friend and child of God.

    much love
    grandmother & mother-in-law

    ReplyDelete