Tuesday, August 11, 2009

EUNICE KENNEDY SHRIVER

I am saddden again by another pioneer of rights for the Mentally Challenged passing!
When most people talk about their favorite Kennedy they will mention the Former President John F Kennedy, or his wife Jackie, and even their son John Jr but, when my family and I first realized the journey we would take with our son.
We were asked a year or so after Malik enrolled at the Birch School in NYC if he could participate in the Special Olympics with his classmates I learned then of Eunice Kennedy Shriver's creation of the Special Olympics.
She instantly became my favorite Kennedy!
Malik has participated each year since then. He looks forward to the races and the bowling!
On behalf of my family I would like to Thank Mrs. Eunice Kennedy Shriver for thinking of individuals like Malik and realizing they deserve the right to experience the whole team spirit of sportsmanship too ! With all the challenges they face on a daily basis, it's truly a blessing for them to have their own Olympics!!!!
The Special Olympics was created in 1968 and is still going strong in 2009!!!
Mrs Kennedy Shriver was a visionary and a giving person ....she will be missed !!!
May God Bless and Keep her!!!

1 comment:

  1. I agree! She started the Special Olympics because of her mentally challenged sister. The Kennedys tried to keep her condition a secret but Eunice Kennedy took a stand and did something for others. The students at one of my schools participate and we do fundraisers to help them participate. Her program will continue!

    ReplyDelete