Tuesday, May 26, 2009

IEP.....CONTINUED

Well, school is officially out!...right b4 school ended I had my continued IEP meeting w/Ms. Jillette, Ms McFadden, Ms Hill & the so called speech therapist. The only 2 people who didnot show up were the so called speech therapist supervisor and Malik's new teacher 4next year.
Suppossedly they both had valid reasons. Of course I thought what I thought!
The meeting started w/the so called speech therapist informing me of all the newly revised areas in Maliks IEP. She had me initial & sign that I was in agreement w/the revisions.
Then it came down 2the nitty gritty concerning his therapy. I let the so called speech therapist knoe I was not comfortable w/her giving Malik speech therapy only bcuz she told me ova the telephone a month or so ago she thought Malik was beyond help. Of course, she denied saying that and seemed quite offended I would say such a thing! She assured me she would not b his speech therapist in the upcoming year.....great 1 hurdle completed .......next .......the so called speech therapist tried 2focus on what kind of therapy I wanted4 Malik and how much of it.
I told her I want what ever the state/dekalb school system allows along w/1 on 1 speech therapy. I also reiterated, how I wanted 2knoe what was going on so I could practice at home w/him, and most importantly concentrate on a aide that will teach Malik 2type a response when asked a question or type his wants b4 being asked.
She then had the audacity 2ask what did I want her 2start working on 1st ?????? duuuuhhh , I told her " your're the speech therapist" I 'm not familiar w/ur techniques! after thinking about it
I suggested we start w/sounds and simple commands ??????
Needless, 2say starting the following day, Malik was gettin pulled out of his classroom for 1/2 hr of therapy 3x's a week. .... ok I agreed ... we could work w/that!
After, leaving the meeting I was given a dolch sight word list, then on the last day I was given work sheets, and his diagnovox 2practice typing.
Hopefully next year Malik can get the communication aide that he can type on.....
keep ur fingers crossed that our next IEP meeting will not have to b another continuation!

No comments:

Post a Comment