Tuesday, May 26, 2009

DOIN' IT FOR OURSELVES

I wasn't gonna blog until the weekend ....but, an earlier incident sparked me 2blog. Earlier 2day I went 4my daily walk in our relatively new park. While walking I saw a female who was with a young boy. I didnt pay 2much attention 2the pair until I noticed how the female kept turning around looking at me.
Now, being a transplant from the NY I knoe that "lookback" very well ....I can remember giving just as good as I got! but, I started thinking the female couldn't possibly be giving me the NY "lookback" bcuz not only was it daylight, there were alot of people in the park, and (I realize I put on a few lbs. but,) I didnt think I posed any kind of threat 2her or the young man.
So, why did she insist on turning around every few steps. I was sure I didnot knoe her. I didnt understand. At this point, I proceeded 2take one of my ipod headphones out of my ear and c if I could hear her say anything...... NOTHING !
So, I kept the left earpiece out of my ear and paid attention. I noticed the young man who was possibly 10-11 years old....touching the female (I assumed she was his mom)
I continued 2watch as the young man touched 1st her cheek then her arm. That's when I noticed the female becoming uncomfortable w/the young man touching her. She kept pulling away from him. I watched the young man closer and realized he made noises and walked kinda pigeon- toed. I thought 2myself this young man is doing the same thing Malik does. He doesnt realize he's distracting you or disturbing u all he wants 2do is show u his affection.
Then it all made sense the young man had a disability, and the mom kept turning around looking at me 2c if I noticed her son's behavior. It seemed as if she tried 2 read my face and c if I was going 2react negatively or not.
Believe me, I knoe that panic, embarassed, annoyed look very well!
By this time I pretty much caught up 2them. We were approaching a fork n the track she and her son went 2the left and I stayed slightly right. So b4 we departed I reached out by introducing myself 2her, and asked her name and her son's disability. She told me her name and that her son's disability was CP (Cerebral Palsy) I told her my name and Malik's name & his disability.
I told her I understood how and why her son was grabbing her. She let out a long sign and looked relieved! We went on 2discuss schools, teachers, and services available 2our young men.
After our brief encounter, we thanked 1another & bid each other farewell!
I enjoyed our talk, I believe Karen did also bcuz when I introduced myself &assured her I understood. I could have sworn by the time she walked away her face was relieved and relaxed!
And I couldn't help thinkin' how we r all connected we r
"Mother's of Special Young Men, & We R Doin' It For Ourselves!!!!"

3 comments:

  1. let me find out u still gotta Ny state of mind out there .u n brother leek out there diddy boppin.nah but seriously thts wassup,thts how u do it.it always helps 2 hear some 1 goin thru whteva ur goin thru.tht simple reach out 2 her proly got her thru the day,showin her its allrite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my name is Evelyn, I am a co-worker & friend of yr brother Charlie, after deciding to write a paper on Autism. He gave me yr website address. After spending hours laughing, crying and learning about Autism I can see why he is so proud of his family. Thank You for the Journey of Autism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God allows us to go through things so we can take our knowledge, experience and understanding and reach out to others. Sometimes a little compassion goes along way.

    ReplyDelete