Monday, April 13, 2009

SO-CALLED SPEECH THERAPY

This morning I was awakened by the telephone. The female on the other end of the phone said her name was Mrs. Southland, she began 2 explain how she needed 2add a supplement 2Malik's IEP meeting packet we had a few months ago, she said she would send the revisions home 4me 2review &sign.
After, letting her speak & finally waking up I asked "I'm sorry, I no u said ur name is Mrs. Southland but, who r u again" she advised me she was Malik's speech therapist which I thought was insane. How could I not know Malik's speech therapist name. I told her how I had been trying 2get n touch w/her 2 c how Malik was progressing n therapy & c if I could incorporate some of her methods here at home. She went on 2 explain how his therapy consisted of him using his augmentative device . I said yes I'm aware of the device but, I want 2 also no what exactly he's doing n speech therapy?....she said that is the only speech therapy Malik receives. What he does on his augmentative device is considered his speech therapy. I replied,
" W H A T !!!"
I told her that is not speech therapy she informed me that's how the Dekalb County School System defines speech therapy now, it's related more to academics. ...again, I replied,
W H A T !!!!! how can DCSS define Malik's curriculum as only being Academic and summarizing his speech therapy up w/only the augmentative device is beyond me. Malik has received speech therapy all his life & it has consisted of one on one therapy with a qualified speech therapist and within the last few years has included working w/a augmentative device. Not, subsituting the speech therapy 4 the device but, speech therapy in addition 2 the device! So, I thought this is what he is still receiving! I proceeded 2 ask her ok, when was ne1 going 2 mention this 2me? No wonder the speech therapist never called me, she's not even working w/him, what would she have 2report 2 me? She said she goes to his class once a week and ask his teacher if he needs any help using the device and the teacher tells her no he's doing very well on the device.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Again, I told her that is not speech therapy!!! The speech therapist also went on 2 inform me that when she worked w/Malik last year she believes he reached his potential w/making word sounds. So, she spoke w/her supervisor and they agreed Malik couldnt make anymore sounds & it seemed like he reached his capacity. I told her u sound as if u've given up on my son, and that is not 4 u to decide! If his IEP says he requires speech therapy, then it's ur job 2give it 2him!!!!
Needless, 2say the conversation took a verrrrrry ugly turn ..... & I was so angry I decided 2 wait until 2morrow 2 speak w/both his teachers the Lead Special Education Coordinator Ms Hill, along w/the speech therapist and her supervisor.
I find this behavior 2be unsatisfactory and it will be addressed. I am in disbelief, it is difficult enuf having a child w/a disability but, when u get a system thats not giving him all the tools he'll need 2help him along its very disheartening!
I no there r alot of politics when it comes 2what's considered this and that n school systems I disagree but, that is not my issue. My issue is the fact that no one told me his speech therapist & her supervisor decided Malik was beyond help and they decided 2 replace main stream speech therapy w/the augmentative device & not n addition 2. If I would have known this I could have gotten Malik speech therapy outside of his school enviornment. Which I should have done anyway.
It's mind blowing 2me!!!! how carefree and nonchalant these so called educated-professionals r!!!! Well, here we go again Malik & his family taking on another fight what the so-called professionals fail 2 understand is I'm not new 2this ! & once again ITZ ON!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, do you need some back up!? I will jump in the car! Sandra, the bottom line is, no one is going to care about Malik like we do. You just gotta keep remindin' folk that he has a family that cares about him and loves him and we demand the best for him. Some people have education but no good sense!

    Go one and get 'em!!

    ReplyDelete