Friday, April 17, 2009

FOLLOW UP!!!

Well, on Tuesday morning I went 2c Malik's so-called speech therapist. She tried 2 reiterate her point on why she thought Malik doesn't need the traditional one-on-one speech therapy she said, "at a certain age if a child is not using his vocal cords the chances are high that he/she will never use them," and how he works very well w/the augmentative device. She went on to explain how DCSS says if the child is effectively communicating w/the device in school then that is the method they should continue 2 use. In other words Malik is communicating academically w/the device.
I told her at all the IEP meetings I attend w/Lithonia Middle School an important goal of mine as well as Malik teachers, is 4 Lithonia Middle 2prepare Malik 4life by helping him become more independent, I went on 2explain 2her, in life he is not going 2walk around w/a augmentative device. The device allows Malik 2respond 2questions that r asked but, supossed in life a question that is asked is not programed n2 the device????? ...then what??????? the so-called speech therapist had the same look on her face Malik has when he gets sent 2bed & I find he's still up playing playstation ! I also explained 2her if I would have listened to all the so-called professionals each time they expressed 2me what Malik was &would b capable of doing n life...I'm frightened at the thought of where he would b!!!!......so, the little pow-wow we had was a complete waste of my time!!!!
Wednesday, I spoke w/Malik's Lead Special Education Coordinator, Ms Hill and I expressed my concerns bout the conversation w/the so-called speech therapist she and I agreed we need 2have another IEP review as soon as possible. I requested Malik's 2teachers, the so-called speech therapist, her boss Dr. Carter, Malik's new teacher 4 next year, Ms Hill and of course myself all attend..... She agreed.
Yesterday on Thursday I spoke w/Dr. Carter who is the supervisor of the so-called speech therapist she advised me she couldn't recall a converstation she had w/her employee (the so-called speech therapist) where they both agreed Malik was basically beyond help, she also expressed her concern w/the so-called speech therapist doing consultation therapy where she only asked Malik's teacher (Ms McFadden) if Malik was doing good w/his device. Dr. Carter said that is not how consultative speech therapy goes. With all this new info I asked Dr. Carter if there was another speech therapist that caters to Lithonia Middle School bcuz I didn't feel comfortable w/the so-called speech therapist giving Malik therapy. If Dr. Carter is truthful I feel the so-called speech therapist is a liar, and I feel she would not be of any help 2him, she does not have Malik's best interest @heart!!! I need 2feel confident that all people who r n contact w/my child have his best interest @heart and sincerly want Malik 2succeed as I do!
So, I will keep u abreast of all the meetings ......and therapies......... and yada yada yaddaaa's ....
stay tuned >>..>>>>>...........

2 comments:

  1. Stay on them! Don't hesitate to get a second opinion and look into them paying for it. I believe that if they do not have certain resources within a school district - they are obligated to hire from outside. Keep the faith! Don't let them give up on Malik!

    luv ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how stressful those people can be.I agree keep the faith and give it to God because man's no is God yes. I know he is going to work in your favor. Stay positive and love to you and family

    ReplyDelete